Festival Park Coming to South Elgin August 2020
ALERT: The March 16, 2020 groundbreaking ceremony for the new Panton Mill Park has been canceled. Though an inconvenience, we feel it's more important to minimize large gatherings, and reduce the risk of COVID-19 coronavirus spreading. For more information about the project, please see information below:
Concerts in the park, art festivals, martial arts demonstrations, family reunions, weddings, walk-a-thons and other events will soon have a showcase location in South Elgin’s Village Center. Panton Mill Park, home of Riverfest and adjacent to Village Hall, will undergo a mighty upgrade this summer: a permanent sound stage, large pavilion, restroom and concessions building, walking paths, streetscape lighting and a splash pad.
With the picturesque Fox River as its backdrop, the festival-styled park will offer great sight lines to the entertainment stage and a wide-array of reasons for the community and region to gather. “Make no mistake, this is also an economic development project for South Elgin,” said Village Administrator, Steve Super. “It will certainly attract more businesses, restaurants and development to our Village Center.”
Funding comes from park development fees provided by new housing developments as well as TIF funds generated by business growth along Route 31 and Bowes Road (which is specifically dedicated for parks and economic development). Estimated cost for the project is $5 million, though the contractor bidding indicates the project will likely deliver under budget.
Below you'll find a graphic outlining several of the key improvements you'll find when Panton Mill Park reopens this August. And here are a few additional facts and figures:
- Groundbreaking ceremony takes place Monday, March 16 at 6pm near the existing utility bill drop box at 10 N Water Street NOTE: The March 16, 2020 groundbreaking ceremony for the new Panton Mill Park has been canceled. Though an inconvenience, we feel it's more important to minimize large gatherings, and reduce the risk of COVID-19 coronavirus spreading. We look forward to showcasing our new park when all are welcome to enjoy it!
- Improvement area is about 6 acres in size
- Permanent stage will have barrel roof design, large performance area, and decorative stone columns
- Splash pad is a focal point of the design. A trellis will provide shade in a seating area around the splash pad.
- Improved pedestrian access in the park with 10’ sidewalks throughout and direct linkage to the existing Fox River Trail to the south
- Decorative furnishings, brick pavers, and pavement throughout
- Improved Village Hall entrance for accessibility and seating areas
- Village Hall will remain open during construction, however parking will be limited from mid-March through early August 2020
- Panton Mill Park will be entirely enclosed with construction fencing during the project, and will temporarily prohibit access to the Fox River for fishing, picnics, walks, etc.
- The entire area will include a wide variety of construction equipment, vehicles and shifting projects on a daily basis. Be cautious and anticipate temporary restrictions to the roads/parking. Watch the Village's website and social media for announcements and updates.
- The utility bill drop off box will be relocated across State Street near the Municipal Annex.
- See map below for features, benefits and birdseye view of the planned improvements!