Home Based Businesses
The Village does not require a business license for home-based businesses. However, if you are thinking of operating a business from your home, the home based business may only be established in a residential zoning district if it meets certain regulations.
A home-based business is permitted within any dwelling unit in the Village as part of a principal or accessory structure provided that the following standards are met:
- Residential Character: The location and operation of the home–based business shall not alter the residential character of the dwelling. No separate entrance shall be provided in connection with the operation of any home-based business.
- Uses: Examples of allowed home-based businesses include, but are not limited to, artist, consultant, craftsperson, designer, general business or professional office, internet-based wholesale, retail or personal services business, excluding dry cleaners on premises, limited production or manufacturing of goods such as woodworking or ceramics, personal services, tutor, writer, and instructor of music, dance, craft, or fine art. Any production on the premises shall not involve the conduct of a manufacturing business typically only permitted in the industrial zoning districts.
- Sales: No commodities shall be sold on or from the premises, except those transactions made through telephone, mail communication, or electronic or wireless communication for the offices of a salesperson, sales representative, or manufacturer's representative.
- Storage: Outdoor storage for the home-based business shall be prohibited. Hazardous materials used or stored on site shall be prohibited, except those commonly found within a residential dwellling. Such materials shall be limited to quantities that do not constitute a fire, health, or safety hazard.
- Hours of Operation: Home-based businesses with outside visitors may be allowed to operate from 7 am to 9 pm.
- Residency of Operator: The operator of the home–based business shall reside in the dwelling unit in which the home occupation is located.
- Employees: No more than one additional employee who does not reside in the dwelling unit is allowed for a home-based business.
- Visitors: A maximum of four visitors (clients, customers, pupils, etc.) associated with the home–based business may be present at any given time.
- Parking: Any parking needs associated with the home-based business shall be accommodated on-site within an existing driveway or garage.
- Deliveries: Deliveries and shipments are not allowed to or from the premises, with the exception of carriers that typically provide service to residential neighborhoods, such as the U.S. Postal Service and/or express shipping services (UPS, FedEx, DHL).
- Signs: Signs for home-based businesses are permitted in accordance with § 156.10.D.1 (Permanent Signs Exempt from Permit Requirement).
- Service or repair of motor vehicles or recreational vehicles.
- Dry-cleaning on premises.
- Treatment of animals, poultry or livestock, or the kenneling or boarding of more than four dogs or cats, or any combination of dogs and cats not exceeding a total of four.
- Medical or dental care or treatment of persons, except Day Care Homes which are regulated otherwise.
- Manufacturing typically only permitted in the industrial zoning district.