Defacing Public and Private Property is a Crime

When a person knowingly damages the property of another (painting, writing, etching, graffiti, spray painting, or egging) it is a crime.  Residents should report any act of vandalism, criminal damage, or defacement of property to the Police Department at 847-741-2151.  Violators are subject to a minimum fine of $500 and/or up to one year in jail.

State Statute 720 5/21-1 Criminal Damage to Property
State Statute 720 5/21-1.2 Institutional Vandalism
State Statute 720 5/21-1.3 Defacement of Property
Village Code 92.07 Vandalism
Village Code 131.03 Damaging Village Property