Simple Road Safety Rules for New Drivers
Getting a driver’s license is a big accomplishment for every teenager. The following are a few things to remember to keep you safe on the road:
- Don’t drink alcohol or do drugs and drive. Never ride with a driver who is under the influence.
- Keep your vehicle in good working condition and the gas tank full. If your car breaks down, pull over and stay inside with the doors locked and the windows rolled up until help arrives.
- Always lock a parked car, and look underneath and inside the car before getting in.
- Avoid parking in isolated areas. If you’re uncomfortable about where your car is parked, ask a security guard or store staff to watch you and/or escort you to your car.
- Drive to the nearest gas station, open business, or busy, well-lit area to get help if you think you are being followed. Don’t head home. Use your cellular phone to call the police.
- Don’t pick up hitchhikers and don’t hitchhike.