Prescription Drug Collection

If you have unused or expired prescription drugs, do not add to the public health crisis by leaving them unattended, discarded the drugs in the garbage, or worse yet flushing them down the toilet. Unused or expired prescription drugs that remain in the home are at great risk of being abused by those in the home or accidentally ingested by children. We urge you to dispose of your unused or expired drugs in an environmentally, responsible, and safe manner by disposing them in a prescription drug collection box. Conveniently, the Police Department has a prescription drug collection box located in the Police Department lobby:

Medication must be in the original container or in a non-leaking container. Labels are not required. Supplements like vitamins are not a controlled substance and do not pose a hazard, so they can go in with your regular trash however we still accept those items. Examples of what is accepted and what is not accepted in the prescription drug drop box are:


  • Medication Samples
  • Medications for Pets
  • Over-the-Counter Medications
  • Prescription Medications
  • Prescription Ointments in Sealed, Leak-Proof Containers
  • Prescription Patches
  • Samples
  • Vitamins

Not Accepted

  • Aerosol Cans
  • Bloody or Infectious Waste
  • Empty Containers
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Inhalers
  • IV Bags
  • Liquid Medication
  • Medical Marijuana or Illegal Drugs
  • Medicated Lotions, Creams, and Oils
  • Medication from Businesses or Clinics
  • Needles (Sharps)
  • Personal Care Products
  • Syringes with Needles
  • Thermometers

The Police Department lobby is open Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (excluding holidays).

Should you wish to dispose of your unused or expired prescription drugs outside of these hours, you can press the silver button on the blue police call box in the Village Hall vestibule to call Tri-Com Central Dispatch to have an officer respond to the Police Department to let you in to access the prescription drop box.

Visit Kane County Recycles website to find information on disposal of sharps/syringes/needles as well as other hazardous material.