Please review the list of open positions below. The Village only accepts applications/resumes for specific, advertised positions. Due to the volume of applications we may receive, only candidates selected to advance in the hiring process will be contacted.
Police Officers are appointed by the Board of Fire & Police Commissioners. This Board conducts testing processes to recruit Police Officers.
To apply for an open position please complete an application. Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: 10 N. Water Street, South Elgin, IL 60177.
Parks & Recreation Department: Laborer (Seasonal)
The Village of South Elgin is seeking a candidate for the position of Seasonal Laborer in the Parks and Recreation Department. The candidate will perform a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work and operate a variety of equipment and tools in a landscaping and parks capacity. The position offers a flexible weekly schedule. Work assignments will include basic maintenance of the parks and buildings and grounds areas which may vary according to seasonal and emergency needs and priorities of the Department.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a High School diploma or general education degree (GED) and posses a valid Illinois Driver’s License. This position does not offer benefits. Pay will be $14/hour with 30-40 hour work weeks. Submit applications to: Village of South Elgin, ATTN: Human Resources, 10 North Water Street, South Elgin, IL 60177 or via e-mail to email@example.com. Applications are available here: application. EOE.
Public Works: Water & Sewer Superintendent
The Village of South Elgin, IL (pop. 23,865), a diverse and growing community, has an exciting opportunity for Illinois Class B certified water operators interested in serving as the community’s next Water & Sewer Superintendent. This position is responsible for planning and directing the operation and maintenance of the Village’s four water treatment plants, ten wells, distribution system, sanitary sewer collections and lift stations.
South Elgin has always maintained the highest level of quality of life for its residents and is well-respected as a thriving, hardworking community. At present, its residents enjoy all the fruits of the good life and embrace future development with open arms. From its modest beginnings in the 1800's to the explosion of development in the 1990's, the Village has always had something special that attracts people from all walks of life.
The Village of South Elgin prides itself on providing professional, high-quality and responsive municipal services with a strong emphasis on safety and customer service. The South Elgin Public Works Department is currently staffed by 24 full-time employees and several seasonal employees. Including the Superintendent, the Water & Sewer Division is staffed by 3 full-time certified Water Operators who handle water production and 5 full-time Maintenance Workers assigned to maintenance, customer service, and meters. Cooperation among the divisions of the Public Works Department is essential to daily operations.
The Village is seeking an innovative, organized, and collaborative professional with proven managerial experience, and strong interpersonal and customer service skills. The successful candidate will:
- Possess a Class B Illinois Drinking Water Operator license with at least 5 years of water treatment plant operations/distribution system experience, including experience operating as a Class B certified operator. Possess a Class I Wastewater Operator License (or ability to obtain one within 24 months of hire).
- Have at least 3 years of experience in supervisory role. Must be capable of management and supervision, and be able to logically plan, assign, and supervise a large and diverse group of employees and to prepare work schedules.
- Be responsible for full compliance of regulatory requirements for water and wastewater operations ensuring the protection of public health and safety of the community.
- Have considerable knowledge of the governing regulations, operational processes and functions of a public potable water treatment plant and distribution system, and thorough knowledge of the chemicals, materials, equipment, methods and practices and reporting related to the operations and maintenance of the same.
- Possess knowledge of excavation, trenching, and water system repair, and knowledge of public notices and occupational hazards particular to this work, along with the necessary safety precautions.
- Understand how to develop and manage both O&M capital budgets for personnel, operations and maintenance, and equipment replacement.
- Ensure system expansion by developers and contractors are properly permitted for construction and coordinates testing for operation permits.
- Respond to and resolve sensitive and complex community and organization inquiries.
The Village offers an excellent compensation and benefit package with a starting salary range of $87,751 to $98,764. The Water & Sewer Superintendent reports to the Director of Public Works. Qualified candidates should submit a Village application form, resume, cover letter, and contact information for five (5) professional references to the Village of South Elgin, Attention: Human Resources, 10 N. Water Street, South Elgin, IL 60177 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Village of South Elgin is an Equal Opportunity Employer