Building Permit Process
April 23, 2020 UPDATE: Building Permit Process: During this time, the Community Development Department is still reviewing and issuing permits. To submit a completed permit application and drawings, you can:
- Mail it to Village of South Elgin, Community Development Department, 10 N. Water Street, South Elgin, IL 60177;
- Drop it in the drop box near Village Hall, on the west side of Water Street, between State and Middle Streets; or
- Email it to Comdev@southelgin.com. PDF documents are preferred, if possible.
Permits will be reviewed and processed, but not with the normal expediency. Upon approval, staff will communicate with you about how to submit payment and schedule inspections. If you have questions, please call 847-741-3894 and leave a message. Staff will return your call as soon as possible.
To complete an online building permit application, click here.
Applying for a Building Permit
Applying for a building permit is a simple process. Applications, with an attached fact sheet, are available at the Community Development Department or online. Simply read the fact sheet, fill out the application, and provide all items listed in the submittal requirements. Your plans will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy. You may need to provide additional information.
The following list contains the codes which have been adopted by the Village. Most of these codes have been adopted with amendments. Amendments are listed in the Code of Ordinances and are attached to permit applications, when applicable.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Electrical Code
- 2017 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2014 State of Illinois Plumbing Code
- 2015 Illinois Energy Conservation Code
- 1997 Illinois Accessibility Code
- ICC/ANSI A117.1-1998, American National Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings & Facilities Code.
The following list contains items that do not require a building permit. If you have any further questions please contact the Community Development Department.
- Retaining walls less than 4 feet tall.
- Painting, papering, tiling, and carpeting.
- Stopping leaks in sinks and toilets (provided that no plumbing valves or pipes are moved or replaced).
- Swings & other playground equipment, as accessory structures to one or two family dwelling.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
- Broken window repair.
- Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
- Portable cooling unit.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval or safety of equipment.
The Village Code of Ordinances contains a listing of allowed tree species should any outdoor project include landscaping.