New Business Process
Are you opening a new business in South Elgin? All new businesses must go through the New Business process. All businesses owners interested in locating in the Village of South Elgin, or if a business is planning on changing their name or plan to move into an existing building must complete a New Business Worksheet.
Home Based Business
The Village does not require a business license, however, if you are thinking of operating a business from your home there are important regulations you need to know. Home-based businesses can only be established in a residential district if they meet the following limitations. A home-based business is permitted within any dwelling unit in the Village as part of a principal or accessory structure provided that the following standards are met.
- Residential Character: The location and operation of the home–based business shall not alter the residential character of the dwelling.
- Uses: Examples of allowed home-based businesses include, but are not limited to, artist, consultant, counselor, craftsperson, designer, tutor, writer, and instructor of music, craft, or fine art.
- Sales: No on-site retail or wholesale transactions are allowed.
- Hours of Operation: Home-based businesses with outside visitors may be allowed to operate from 7 am to 9 pm.
- Residency of Operator: The operator of the home–based business shall reside in the dwelling unit in which the home occupation is located.
- Employees: One additional employee who does not reside in the dwelling unit is allowed for a home-based business.
- Visitors: A maximum of four visitors (clients, customers, pupils, etc.) associated with the home–based business may be present at any given time.
- Parking: Any parking needs associated with the home-based business shall be accommodated on-site within an existing driveway or garage.
- Deliveries: Deliveries and shipments are not allowed to or from the premises, with the exception of carriers that typically provide service to residential neighborhoods, such as the U.S. Postal Service and/or express shipping services (UPS, FedEx, DHL).
- Signs: Signs for home-based businesses are permitted in accordance with § 156.10.D.1 (Permanent Signs Exempt from Permit Requirement).