The Village contracts a program with Eligo Energy whereby residents and small businesses will be charged exactly the ComEd rate and will enjoy the added benefit of 100% Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) for the entire South Elgin Green Aggregation Community, at zero added cost.  

The program will reduce carbon emissions by approximately 25,000 tons annually. RECs purchased for the Village’s energy consumption will be sourced from wind power generators located in the Midwest. The Green-E audited certificates have oversight by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. There is never an enrollment fee, early termination fee or any added monthly fees.

Where does green energy come from?
Wind generation sites are the primary source of renewable green energy in the State of Illinois, followed by solar, hydro, and methane gas from landfills. Nuclear and natural gas are not considered renewable green resources for power generation.

Will our home be powered by electicity generated by wind turbines, solar and hydro sources?
The power grid maintained by ComEd that serves South Elgin cannot route specific power directly to your home. Those who purchase green power typically pay a premium to support green energy through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). RECs subsidize the cost of those companies that actually generate the green/renewable power.

How can we be certain we are buying green/renewable power?
When a power supplier sells a “green energy” product in the marketplace, that supplier is required to purchase and retire RECs to support their green products. The supplier must document and report those transactions to State and Federal agencies.

Are REC’s legitimate?
Yes. RECs represent the benefits and attributes of renewable green energy.  As energy is generated, the generation owners sell the RECs, which are numbered within an audited tracking system. RECs may be resold and only used once and then must be retired. Anyone who claims they purchase renewable power either has on-site renewable generation such solar panels or a windmill directly hooked up to their home, or they must purchase RECs to support green power development.

What if I don’t want to participate?
You may leave the program after it begins, and you will never incur a fee.  For more information, email or call Eligo Energy at 847-786-8636, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.

Why is the Village doing this?
A Municipal Electric Aggregation Program was approved by a simple majority in a 2012 voter Referendum allowing the Village to seek pricing from an ARES for residents and small commercial accounts. The Village is committed to environmental sustainability, and in this instance, there is zero additional cost to procure green energy for the Village’s residents–a win-win.

Will I get two bills, one from ComEd and the other from the new supplier?
No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes.

Who will I call if I have a service problem?
Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can contact Eligo Energy at 847-786-8636 or at This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

I am enrolled in a low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?
No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

I am on ComEd’s budget billing plan. Will that change? What about automatic deductions from my checking account?
Your participation in the budget billing plan won’t change. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

Will someone come to my home or call me to sign up?
No. You need do nothing to automatically be enrolled in the program. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the Village’s power supplier you may file a complaint with the ICC at Never reveal your ComEd account information to solicitors who may say they represent the Village, ComEd or Eligo Energy.

Where can I find more information?
For more information about energy supply choices, visit the ICC site at For questions about your electric account, call South Elgin’s aggregation program supplier, Eligo Energy, at 847-786-8636. If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at 800-727-3820 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue. To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, call ComEd at 800-334-7661.